The tragic singer had traces of cocaine, marijuana and the prescription drugs Xanax, Flexiril and Benadryl in her system when she drowned in a hotel bathtub, an inquest has ruled.
Whitney Houston’s death was officially caused by accidental drowning, but drug use and heart disease were also factors, according to the Los Angeles County coroner’s office. The singer was found dead in her bathtub on 11th February at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Hollywood, Los Angeles.
In a statement, the LA County Coroner’s office described the 48-year-old’s death as “accidental”, adding that “no trauma or foul play is suspected”. The cause was cited as drowning and “effects of atherosclerotic heart disease and cocaine use”.
Traces of marijuana, as well as an anti-anxiety drug, a muscle relaxant and an allergy medication were also found in her system but did not contribute to her death.
Houston’s manager and sister-in-law Patricia Houston told the Associated Press news agency,
“We are saddened to learn of the toxicology results, although we are glad to now have closure.”
The singer’s funeral took place on 18th February in her home town of Newark, New Jersey, attended by a number of stars, including Stevie Wonder, Alicia Keys and Mary J Blige.