Whitney Houston was found dead slumped in the bathtub of her Beverly Hills hotel room. But how did she die? Was it drowning or did she (accidentally or intentionally) take an overdose of prescription drugs?
Those are the questions people are asking right now as they struggle to come to terms with the death of the pop diva at just 48 years old.
Deputy LA coroner Ed Winter confirmed that an autopsy had been completed on the singer’s body had been completed. However, the cause of death would not be determined until toxicology tests were completed.
It could take six to eight weeks for the results of these tests to come in, he said. However, celebrity gossip site TMZ is reporting that Whitney Houston’s family have been told that she died not from drowning but from a combination of prescription drugs such as Xanax, and alcohol.
There was apparently not enough water found in her lungs to reach the conclusion that she died from drowning. So she may have already been dead before her head went under the water in the bathtub.
A “security hold” has been placed on the high profile case, as with other celebrity deaths, so we can’t expect many more details to come through the official channels until the toxicology results are known.
It is, however, known that law enforcement officials found prescription drugs including Valium, Xanax and Lorazepam in her room at the Beverly Hills Hilton.
Whitney Houston died hours before she was expected to perform at her longtime mentor, record producer Clive Davis’ annual pre-Grammy party, which is held at the Beverly Hilton.
Her family expressed their grief in a brief statement, saying:
“We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Whitney. This is an unimaginable tragedy and we will miss her terribly. We appreciate the outpouring of love and support from her fans and friends.”