“Yes, it’s true; I won’t be returning to The X Factor next season,” the reality TV judge revealed in a statement on Tuesday. “I’ve learned through my longevity in this industry that business decisions often times override personal considerations.”
It’s not exactly clear whether that is her business decision or Simon Cowell’s, but the two apparently remain on good terms, unlike when Cheryl Cole was fired from American Idol.
Paula’s message confirming her X Factor exit came after reports emerged earlier on Tuesday that Executive Producer Simon Cowell wanted to get a bigger name than Paula as a judge on the singing competition show.
As we previously told you, host Steve Jones and fellow judge Nicole Scherzinger will not have their contracts renewed after the show’s inaugural season.
Former Pussycat Dolls singer Nicole also backed up the rumor of her firing on Twitter, writing, “I wanted to let you know directly from me that it’s true I won’t be returning to The X Factor.”
She said she wanted to concentrate on making music again.
Paula stressed that she remained on good terms with her X Factor colleagues after her exit from the show.
“Simon and I, along with Fox and Fremantle, have been communicating about this for a while now, and I have absolute understanding of the situation. Simon is, and will remain a dear friend of mine and I’ve treasured my experience working this past season with my extended family at Fox and Fremantle. I want nothing more than for The X Factor to exceed ALL of their wildest dreams. This truly has been a blessing and I am most grateful.”
The X Factor USA premiered on September 21, 2011 on Fox, but ratings were disappointing. The competition is currently auditioning new acts for the show’s second season, which is set to premiere in the fall.
So who do we want to see as X Factor USA judges now? Should Simon Cowell himself return?