James Durbin American Idol Dream Over: Was it Too Soon?

American Idol fans may be disappointed and shocked to hear that metal-inspired singer James Durbin will no longer be competing for the coveted title.

It was announced tonight that James received the lowest number of votes from the fans and won’t be in the running to become the next American Idol but the remaining three (Lauren Alaina, Haley Reinhart and Scotty McCreery) will be competing next week.

So did American make the right decision this week – or did James deserve to stay while another person was sent home. Many would agree that Haley or Lauren were on the chopping block tonight but it was announced that the two girls were safe first. It was down to Scotty and James and Scotty made it to the final three.

Ryan announced that James was leaving and he immediately began tearing up. After his goodbye video – which featured the song “Don’t You Forget About Me” James played his final song – “Maybe I’m Amazed” while holding back tears.

I know James had a lot of fans this year (you can’t get to the final four without a solid fanbase) so I have to ask: Do you think James deserved to be eliminated tonight – or did he deserve a spot in the final 3?

18 Responses to “James Durbin American Idol Dream Over: Was it Too Soon?”

1. BEV says:

I WILL NEVER EVER BELIEVE HE HAD THE LOWEST NUMBER OF VOTES !!!! NIGEL WILL GET HIS ONE OF THESE DAYS, YOU CAN BE UGLY FOR JUST SO LONG !!!! MY FAMILY AND I VOTED 3500 TIMES, WHO GOT JAMES VOTES ! I DON’T THINK IT WAS JAMES.HE WILL BE A SUPER STAR !

2. Louise Groulx says:

I can’t believe that JAMES DURBIN got to go home because he should have been the AMERICAN IDOL this year . This has happened for 4 years now , like the year BO BICE ,CHRIS DAUGHTRY, ADAM LAMBERT and now JAMES DURBIN .What is the matter with you PEOPLE ? Don’t you know how to vote? It will be the last time I will watch AMERICAN IDOL and I hope JAMES DURBIN will show the world (you PEOPLE) what a great singer he is . GOD BLESS YOU JAMES & YOUR FAMILY.FOLLOW YOUR DREAM…

3. Louise Groulx says:

I was shocked when I heard that JAMES DURBIN was out . People made a big MISTAKE sending him home. In my opinion he should have been the next AMERICAN IDOL. I watch the show since the beginning & contestants like CHRIS DAUGHTRY, ADAM LAMBERT, and JAMES DURBIN are the best of the best . So I won’t be listening to AMERICAN IDOL anymore because people don’t know how to vote…GOOD LUCK JAMES & KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK .

4. Belinda Helton says:

James Durbin Rocks!!! Shame on you AI! I have been watching Idol for quite a few years until now, done with AI!

5. Debbie says:

I was absolutely stunned when James was voted off!! Me and a good friend were watching together and both voted over 100 times for James and we normally do not vote! Every person that I know were voting and rooting for James, so how in the world did this happen! James definitely was cheated!!!! Everyone of my family and friends have decided that they are done with watching American Idol and could care less who wins now!! I have removed it from my tivo and will not watch again!!(Unless of course they did admit to a glitch in the voting and brought James back!)

6. Stephanie says:

What happened to James is a travesty. Why at the end of the first song rotation did they suddenly switch it up and have James go last. Has this ever been done before? James should have been the one to sing his second song first in the rotation. The voting system in no way can be accurate. I’m sorry 70 some million votes. Please! That’s a third of the population in the U.S. Anyway, yes bring James back. The best IDOL by far. He will have stellar career no matter what though.

Give Metal A Chance.

7. Sunny378 says:

I agree with Jane: “… in terms of what the singers can do with their voices, James was probably willing to do the least. Fantastic on softer songs he preferred to scream out metal. That has a smaller fanbase.”

I’m also in love with Scotty (sigh, but I’m 64 and he’s … um … younger). I hope he reaches the finals with Lauren. Haley seems to have a difficult time staying between too soft and too screechy.

8. JejemonMJJologs says:

James Durbin deserved to be in the Final 3. American Idol should reconsider bringing James Durbin back and have Final 4 instead. And, also James Durbin’s fans are all waiting for Steven Tyler-James Durbin performance.

9. JejemonMJJologs says:

I watched American Idol since James Durbin came on board. I’ve had 300-400 text votes every Wednesday. Come May 11, I’ve texted 700 votes for James and called in 100 votes to 1-866-436-5701 & 1-866-436-5705. James Durbin is a great performer, has an extremely great talent, and an excellent artist. Losing the American Idol was a God’s blessing for James Durbin. There’s something better for him and being a free-agent, he has freedom of choice and not being tied down to one (American Idol) only. More power to you James Durbin. You will be so successful, your family are so proud of you. Your strong fan base are supporting you all the way!!!

10. Tiffany Guidry says:

I do think it was a very BIG mistake. As you said, you can’t get through American Idol and this high up without a solid fanbase. An James Durbin definently had a solid fanbase. There’s just no way he could have possibly had the lowest votes. He was the best of the best, and was never in the bottom throughout the season. Something was wrong. And I know what it was, it was the voting! I couldnt get throgh at all. Others complained that when they did get through, a recording said, “Thank you for voting for contestant 3″ when James was NOT conestant three. Whoever contestant three was got a hell of a lot of votes! That’s all I can say. AMERICAN IDOL MADE A HUGE MISTAKE WITH THIS ONE!

11. Karen P says:

One doesn’t want to think there is a conspiracy or that there was a phone line glitch, but how else can you explain the fact that the most talented all around performer was voted off? He has never been in the bottom 3, consistently ranked at the top. His performances rocked the house each week.

If, indeed, there was a glitch in the voting, then they need to rectify it immediately and send the right person packing.

James, whatever you do we will be waiting to buy the tickets to your first concert. You will do wonderful.

12. Selina says:

Considering James was not in the bottom three this entire competion, I think something is up with the vote. I will not be watching American Idol from now on. The Voice, X-Factor and So you think you can dance will be getting my attention.

13. Jane says:

I am shocked in a way. But in terms of what the singers can do with their voices, James was probably willing to do the least. Fantastic on softer songs he preferred to scream out metal. That has a smaller fanbase. I feel we saw more sides to the other contestants, I just am not keen on most sides of Haley. We see, particularly her sulky attitude we saw when she was being judged this week. But the judges were harsh on her and she can probably count some sympathy votes in there. I was no country girl before this season but I just fell in love with Scotty, like J-Lo did.

14. Margo McBee says:

James was my favorite! I loved his voice, his artistic imagination…he will be successful, just like Daughtry. I don’t want to watch anymore thid season…James was the reason I was tuning in. :-(

15. Donna Lazar says:

I am stunned that James was voted off American Idol tonight. He was definately the most talented and should have been in the finale. I have watched American Idol since season 2 and this was as bad as the year Daughtry got voted off. I hope and pray that James will follow the same path as Daughtry and have a wonderful career in the music industry. The results tonight were a total insult and I am starting to wonder as others have mentioned if the whole show is fixed. I am done with American Idol this season as three boring people are left. Scotty will go somewhere in the country world but Haley and aLauren will be forgotten about in a few years eveen if one of them win. Shame on America for getting it all wrong.

16. L Murphy says:

James Durbin was the most talented and also had the most challenges to achieve his dreams. I’m
    Sorry but the effort it takes to reach American Idol needs to be measured along with the talent. I no longer will watch this competition!!!!!!

We need to factor in the amount of effort and talent it takes to get to American Idol and not just the talent!!!

17. Bonnir Fulton says:

For the record, James was contestant #1 last nite, and when I went to vote, the recording said THANK YOU FOR VOTING FOR CONTESTANT # 3!!!!!
    So, u tell me what happened ere! I want a recount!

18. Donna Dobson says:

This totally sucks! James is the most talented, most heartfelt contestent in many years! He’s overcome many obsticles in his young life & I for 1 will be there to support he & his beautiful family through they’re journey. James, you will go far. As for Idol, I don’t care who wins or if I see it again this year. I have been foolowing Idol for 9 years & will only continue if the same Panel comes back next year. James, this is not the end, but the very beginning of a great path! I for 1 am here for ya! Can’t wait to buy your CD!! XXOO