Last Tuesday, in the semi-finals edition of America’s Got Talent there was almost a tragedy as an accident during Gymkana’s act left two performers trapped in a ring of fire. Thankfully, due to their own quick thinking, no-one was seriously hurt. But two of the judges on the show have criticized what the call the slow reactions to the accident of the America’s Got Talent crew.
Freemantle Media producers came under attack for failing to come to the aid of a member of a gymnastics act when one of the members caught his foot in a ring of fire, bringing the ring down with him as he fell.
The judges leaped to their feet in horror but did not go up on to the stage. Howie Mandel, in an interview with the New York Post said he never wants to see someone get hurt on the show again. He said it was “scary.”
Fellow judge Sharon Osbourne appeared shocked when the gymnast, a member of the University of Maryland group Gymkana, fell. She stressed the need for the crew to be more alert to possible accidents during the America’s Got Talent shows. She said,
“It took too long” for an emergency team to take action.”
However, a spokesperson for the production company has refuted these criticisms by the America’s Got Talent judges, saying a fire safety team were on standby and they were prepared to step in if necessary, but they did not need to intercede because the performers were wearing suits treated with a flame retardant spray.
Is that answer good enough for you? Hopefully there will be no more such incidents on the show tonight.