All My Children Finale Cliffhanger Sparks Controversy!

All My Children has now officially ended its more than 40 ears run on our TV screens. But wait a minute. That was not the closure we were promised from this soap’s over 40 year run. No wonder fans of the ABC have reported mixed reactions already. If you have recorded the  All My Children finale show to watch later, don’t read on because here we just have to discuss a SPOILER: the ending of an era.

Over the past few weeks in All My Children, Angie has struggled to regain her eyesight, Bianca and Marissa found to their intense relief that J.R. is not going to post their sex tape on the Internet and Kendall seduced Zach who is just returned from the dead.

Life and death and sometimes a battle between the two that was sparked by lengthy renegotiations on contracts, are what All My Children was all about and we got it all in microcosm this week.

The program made stars of Susan Lucci who has placed femme fatale Erica Kane ever since 1970. She became the most famous name in daytime television. Recently, she flew off, looking for her ex-lover Mike Roy who had earlier been shot dead.

Program makers said the All My Children finale would focus on the family and leave us feeling good. Well, millions of us are left feeling dissatisfied.

On the final episode, which aired today, J.R. shot someone, but we didn’t learn who his victim was.  Could it have been Erica, Opal or himself, even?

I was left staring and my screen, bemused by the ending. Should I feel cheated? Or should I instead be happy, because surely this is further confirmation that All My Children will indeed head online in 2012? Surely they can’t just leave us with this cliffhanger!

So now it’s over to you, the fans, to judge the All My Children finale. Are you happy ABC left fans with a cliffhanger or do you wish they had given use the closure they promised on a show that has now been cancelled? Will its core audience crossover to watching All My Children online in 2012?

22 Responses to “All My Children Finale Cliffhanger Sparks Controversy!”

1. Sharon says:

Watching the Chew for the first time I was fighting taking a nap, it was very boring. I would be surprise if this show will go a month

2. Sharon says:

I can’t believe you replaced amc with this show called the “chew” REALLY!!!!!! ABC I think you just cut your legs off at the hip as far as day time shows go.. Not a good move

3. super k says:

I think the ending was complete crap! I was soooo upset! I even thought I may have been misinformed and there was another episode! How in the heck do you end a show like All My Children, on a ridiculous cliffhanger like that?! All the powers-that-be have this brilliant plan (nothing more than a pure manipulation), that if they end the show this way, it will FORCE viewers to tune in online! Did they even consider how many long-time, faithful followers of the show are out there that will not be able to access these episodes?! Yep, believe it or not, there are actually some people who do NOT own a computer! Maybe that is as shocking as that crappy ending they gave us!!! I have watched this show, through thick and VERY VERY thin, and this is my payoff?! Shame on the network, and the writers and anyone else who made the decision, to essentially rip us off! I hung in, even when the story lines were completely stupid and the acting went WAY south! I wanted my Babe back! Not as a ghost, or an illusion! UGH! I will end my rant with this… I didn’t care who shot JR, and I don’t care now, who JR shot!!!

4. Zestbow says:

This was a piece of crap… I figured it would be because the last five years they were making the show to pander to the far left. For instance making a proud father a deadbeat dad and giving his child away to a gay woman who has no blood ties… Yea right… They give kids back to there drug using parent before giving a child away to a non blood relative… The show had every left leaning subject, from hookers that become models to gays…. What made me laugh the most, was how they figured if they start adding mexican actors they could bring in the mexican viewers…. My wife and would wager which actor would be next to be replaced with a hispanic… The funny thing about it, was the hispanic actors were better than the normal staff… This show spent more time finding pretty people instead of good actors.. Zach was good, so was adam. I thought Tad was one of the best actors probably tied with doctor david… For the women, are crazy annie and greenly. The rest are not even good enough to be in late night ads. That includes ms kane… Is it possible that an actor who has done the same person become a worse and i use the word loosely… actor.. She was so hard to watch towards the end and the twin thing they tried to pull off was by far the worse story they ever done. I heard it was her idea too… What i read she was willing to take a fifteen percent cut if she can write some of the stories… For that one… She should of taken an eighty percent cut… The show ran ten years past its prime and should of left gracefully and not like a b-rated movie… Very dumb….

5. Kathy M. says:

@Teresa:

6. kim walters says:

over 40 years that sucked!!!!!!!!

7. Dave says:

For the most part, I thought the ending was appropriate. All my children ended with Erica caught between pursuing love and pursuing her dreams. Erica’ last line was just classic, “Just watch me.” Isn’t that why we tuned in for the past 40 years?

I was VERY disappointed with the show’s decision to not reveal the identity of the second body. I was betting that it was Erica’s son holding Babe’s bracelet (the two of them had a brief flirtation). I guess I may never find out if I was right.

8. Michelle says:

As I’m reading everyones comments, yes the ending was a little upsetting but in a few months our show that we all fought to keep, that people sent letters, emails, had protest and so on was saved by a company who heard us! Now its time to show our support for the actors that we fought to keep and watch them online…cause if we don’t then what was the point of fighting for our shows if it was to only turn our backs on them…I look forward to the journey the Prospect Park will bring us on for All My Children & One Live To Live I hope we more of the cast does join on to keep it as close to the original as possible…and again as for AMC’s ending well it wouldn’t be AMC if they didn’t leave us hanging…it was an amazing show I will miss watching it every week day I wish Susan Lucci would join online she’s a wonderful actress will miss her dearly my afternoons will not be the same anymore…

9. Julies says:

I felt like they put a gun to my head and pulled the trigger.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 6 Thumb down 1

10. Rona says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 2 Thumb down 6

11. I love ALL MY CHILDREN and have watched it since I was 13 years old. It helped through a very tough time when my mother passed away. I also cried
    and it felt like the death of a friend when I first heard that it was cancelled in April. I am not dissapointed on the ending as I expected that and it makes sense to leave it that way for the new version in 2012.

I am not a techy person but I know how to hook up my laptop to my tv and I watch alot of tv on the internet on my 52 inch tv at home. So for me the change to internet will not be an issue.

I also saw on Facebook that a fan has teamed up with a group of writers to keep the story going on in print. They are going to start in October….So if anyone is interested I will place the info on my Facebook page and will forward to anyone interested in reading Pine Valley Lives On……..My Name is Linda Frankal

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 6 Thumb down 2

12. M. Gregory says:

I have watched All My Children, since the beginning. I am really going to miss watching it each day and will miss the entire cast. I was very disappointed in the final show, I never expected it to end that way. I could watch it online,but don’t think I really want to. Ending with the cliffhanger kind of forces you to watch it online, if you want to see happened, who got shot.

13. cromeo says:

What a crappy ending. All those years invested…I have been watching AMC, mostly, since high school. And OLTL, I only started watching less than two years ago or so, but it has become one of my favorite shows on day or night! The ABC execs who made the decision to cancel AMC and then make this the finale, I feel, totally disrespected the AMC actors, crew, and the true AMC viewers by giving us this ending, and the whole way they went about it. I understand they say they weren’t making enough money from the show, but they could’ve improved some of the recent storylines to gain more viewers, presented the financial problems to the cast to see if anyone would voluntarily take a pay-cut vs. having no job at all (isn’t almost everybody else having to do the same thing?!), and/or, hey, how about some of the top execs, for once, actually taking a pay-cut?! It makes me sick. I hope those two new shows to replace AMC and OLTL will fail miserably (except for Clinton Kelly’s segments! :) ). Do we not have enough of those type of shows anyway?! Why couldn’t we continue to have the ability to escape into somebody else’s problems for a while on TV, instead of teaching us how to further take care of our families?! Obviously, I’m all for taking better care of ourselves and our families, but sometimes that can mean by allowing ‘mommy’ a little time to herself NOT focusing on what MORE she can do for EVERYBODY ELSE! Thank you and hugs to the casts and crews of AMC and OLTL for all of the valuable entertainment you gave (valuable, because it was good work and had meaning, and valuable for providing ‘disstractions’ which helped me (believe it or not!) retain some of my sanity. As to the ABC execs, only SEXIST OUT-OF-TOUCH-WITH-REALITY MALE EXECUTIVES would remove such historical shows as AMC and OLTL, and replace them with shows to ‘teach’ us how to lose weight and how to cook for our famillies. Gee, there’s some real getaways from our day-in-day-out lives; Ive never thought of those…

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 16 Thumb down 1

14. Teresa says:

seriously i am so upset.. they never showed stuart coming home.. they needed to give AMC more time today.. i feel like we are just forgotten.. no goodbyes no sorrow.. i wanted to see them sad like we are.. i donno bout all of you but AMC was apart of my life since i was 8 yrs old and i am 45 now.. i went through billy clyde estella tara and many more.. and to just end this way..i mean seriously.. i also wanna know why didn’t the writters or producers of AMC try to sell to another network instead of just going off air.. i am seriously hurt and disappointed.. i have even cried over AMC leaving.. and we get left with this COLD ending.. wow seriously.. SHAME ON YOU

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 12 Thumb down 1

15. Michelle Lee says:

Do they really believe people like my mother who watched it since season 1 episode 1 will really watch it online? I don’t think so and viewers won’t make time for online shows. If they were going to continue they should never have cancelled it. Appalled by the ending. I feel bad for the viewers who watched that crap for 41 years and were ripped off !! Who was the the chick that lived and who was shot ?? Damn Thanks for pulling a Dallas, Sopranos type ending. Hope you do better with OLTL when it dies in October.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 8 Thumb down 1

16. Diane Drapeau says:

Stupid
    Even if they do have it on line, not all people have computers that can handle it.
    Should have done what they promised.

17. Kara says:

I felt ripped off. I think it was a very selfish way to end the show and cheated long-time viewers out of an ending. I think very few of us will follow it online. Sure I may tune in once to find out who J.R. shot (funny if you remember the old show Dallas!) or just google it on the Internet but that’s pretty much going to be it for me. I don’t like watching TV on the puter. Anyway, I hope OLTL does a better job of sending the show out with a bang in January!

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 7 Thumb down 1

18. ju says:

It was worse than the Soprano’s ending!

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 6 Thumb down 1

19. bubbles says:

oh how to convey just how much that SUCKED!!!!!!!!

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 7 Thumb down 1

20. Cathy T. says:

Not at all happy with how the show ended! We don’t know if AMC online will really happen and to end the show this way was such a huge disappointment! I was so pleased to see the big party and hoped it was going to end on a high note – not so!

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 12 Thumb down 1

21. Peg says:

Wow, what a disappointment. I thought I’d be crying buckets, but instead I just feel like I was left hanging. I thought they would do a better job of leaving me satisfied that “all was well in Pine Valley”. For that matter, I’d rather have had them blow up the Chandler mansion and kill them all off at once.

Not sure I’m invested in an Internet Soap. I’d rather have had a two hour finale.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 12 Thumb down 1

22. Tara Lynne says:

I know that personally I will not be able to follow the show online the same way as if it were on tv. Also it would stand to reason that not all of the current cast will sign on and therefore the ‘show’ will not be the same. I was almost sorry I watched the last episode- was disappointing at the end. I almost thought at first that maybe it was going to be a 2-hr episode!