All My Children Ends, The Chew Premieres TODAY, Watching?

The long running and obviously much loved soap opera All My Children Ended Friday. Just a quick look at our boards here will tell you exactly how people feel about the decision to end All My Children after a run of over forty years. They’re not happy about it, at all. Even the half promise to revive the show online is not cutting it with the soap opera’s core audience.

So what of The Chew, the show with which ABC has seen fit to replace All My Children? Will that serve its audience any better?

As The Chew debuts today, let’s have a closer look at what is in store for us now the All My Children cast have been put in cold storage.

The Chew’s advance publicity promises “Talk, Food, Fun with a Splash of Style and a Dash of Dishing.” Is this really the recipe for the tastiest show on daytime television or does it smack of trying too hard to walk around in shoes it can never fill?

The Chew joins the ABC Daytime line- up today, Monday September 26, 1:00-2:00 p.m., ET. It will be hosted by “Iron Chef America” stars Mario Batali and Michael Symon, Top Chef’s Carla Hall, entertaining expert Clinton Kelly and health and wellness enthusiast Daphne Oz.

Their raison d’être is to make our lives easier and better. (Will somebody please pass the sick bag? I don’t want this intervention!) Is it going to be “just plain fabulous!” as co-host Clinton Kelly is fond of saying?

The Chew will have different segments, such as:

The Daily Chew where the co-hosts demonstrate one of their favorite recipes.

Mario’s Simple Italian allows Chef Mario Batali to share his secrets of Italian cooking and easy and affordable recipes with us.

Carla’s Gon Be Moments is perhaps potentially the most entertaining part of the show. It’s Gon Be OK!” she says as she helps put right recipes gone wrong.

Michael’s Five in Five is where Chef Michael Symon takes just five ingredients, for $5 or less, and produces a meal in 5 minutes.

Clinton’s Pimp My Plate sees Clinton Kelly pimp up boring recipes.

Daphne’s Things My Dad Taught Me allows the daughter of Dr. Mehmet Oz to share healthy recipes, tips and life lessons from the Oz household.

So you can see what the majority of the show will be taken up with. Is there time for anything else?

Well, today, we can learn to make pizza with Chef Mario Batali. Tomorrow Whoopi Goldberg shows us around Eataly, the largest artisan Italian food and wine marketplace in the world. On Wednesday Joy Behar shares her ultimate lasagna recipe. On Thursday Paula Deen shows us how to cook Southern Comfort foods (at this point are you just preferring the bottle of Southern Comfort?) and on Friday, Daphne Oz rounds out the week with a visit to the Orange County Fair.

So, instead of All My Children, we are going to “learn” how to make pizza and lasagne. Thanks for that. Oh and nice touch on all the alliteration. Sigh… Will you be watching The Chew?

17 Responses to “All My Children Ends, The Chew Premieres TODAY, Watching?”

1. This is the time you take your nap. A total yawn.

2. ps says:

It’s all been said above. No way am I watching the Chew. And I love to cook and eat, but this show does not interest me at all. Blocking ABC. I’ve been a loyal ABC viewer, but I’m done. There are plenty of other good shows on the other channels and I’ll be happy to support the other advertisers on the other networks.

3. Carol says:

I will never watch The Chew or any other show that replaces the soaps. How dare they take off a 40 year old soap and put such a stupid show on.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 4 Thumb down 0

4. Mona Prager says:

After being a loyal and devoted fan of over 41 years to “All My Children” there isn’t any way I would watch this disgusting replacement “The Chew!” I feel absolutely furious with Brian Frons for taking off my favorite show! I also intend to boycott it and all of ABC programming.

5. Yolanda Arias-Arenas says:

@markus: 800K is being generous, maybe 25K and even that is too much.

6. sally moran says:

Can’t watch the Chew because after All My Children ended Sept 23, I blocked the ABC channel on my TV. And we’ll take the prime time ratings down too. Don’t tick off soap fans !!!!! Fire Frons and Sweeney. They killed our soaps and we in return will kill the ABC network.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 9 Thumb down 0

7. becky says:

I recorded AMC and OlTL for years watching my equilivent of a trashy novel at night after work. It was a way to unwind. I will not watch the chew or others on daytime. I have the food channels if I want to see a cooking show. Most cooking shows are beneath my level of ability anyway. Good for beginners. When OLTL is gone I will stop daytime recording.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 10 Thumb down 0

8. Esora says:

I will not be watching the chew or too many other shows on ABC. If my son didn’t love Bill Evans and the news team in the morning I would never turn to ABC again!! First Oprah and now all my children. Just plain disgusted.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 11 Thumb down 0

9. Tracy says:

Nope will not be watching, matter of fact, I have organized a boycott against the Chew…This show looks stupid and the cast, well if they want cheese all they have to do is look at them…..I HOPE IT FAILS MISERABLY.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 14 Thumb down 0

10. JRE says:

This show “The Chew” is a slap in the face to the millions of loyal viewers of “All My Children”. After “One Life to Live” departs in January, I’m not watching ANYTHING on ABC Daytime ever again and it’s looking pretty sketchy that I’ll be watching ABC at ALL ever again!

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 11 Thumb down 0

11. Betty says:

I am like a million others,I will not watch another food show.So stupid The Chew.They have a food net if I wanted to watch.Plus there is enough crap going on about Obesity.Wonder the Gov.lets ABC get by with this. To replace AMC with that garbage is beyond me.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 11 Thumb down 0

12. r bucklely says:

I did not like watching The Chew and I will not be watching it at all. I am getting more unhappy with ABC every day.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 13 Thumb down 0

13. Highland IN Resident says:

No, I will NOT be watching The Chew. If I wanted to watch cooking shows I would watch the food channels or PBS. But what would I know, according to ABC I am not “the right demographics”. That’s right, too many of us who watch AMC are just “too old” for ABC.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 11 Thumb down 0

14. R Simonian says:

I will never watch that show, The Chew, what a dumb name. I loved watching All My Children, it was such a well written soap! I started watching the show when I was a teen, just breaks my heart to see it come to an end. Shame on you ABC!

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 15 Thumb down 0

15. markus says:

NO, I will not be watching. Brian Frons is an idiot, and I hope within two weeks this garbage is getting less than 800K viewers.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 16 Thumb down 0

16. pk says:

What a disappointment. The best written soap replaced by people stuffing their face. You have lost your loyal viewers on this one.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 16 Thumb down 0

17. L Kwet says:

Will never watch any show that replaced All My Children. Very angry about the show leaving the air. Now there is absolutely nothing to watch on TV Disappointingly, more options do not equal better. The genre has steadily gone downhill. This is just the icing on the cake.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 22 Thumb down 0